Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday in the Snow

We are currently under a blizzard warning here in the heartland, and I'm sitting in the office waiting for people to show up for Church School and Worship. The snow started flying after I got here, though the wind was blowing soundly as I drove down. The wonderful thing about Sunday is a chance to share with some people who have developed a hunger for digging into scripture, who are no longer afraid to consider something outside the scope of tradition. I'll begin the process of putting my Lenten Bible Study group back together starting in the morning, when I can start to resurrect the materials I was developing.

This time of year is always a bit depressing for me, though not as much as some years back, because it was right after Easter that my father died. It took several years for me to get beyond the connection, and now I remind myself of the promise of the Savior. But one of the things churches aren't always good about - let's just say people - is considering that someone else might still be having difficulty with an important death in their life - actual death, divorce, plant closing, etc. When we lived in small villages, we looked out for one another. We took food over, watched the kids, did a little extra hunting, made some decoration or clothing item. Now, we might - MIGHT - take something over, but are more likely to say, "They just need some time to get over it."

Perhaps part of the breakdown of our society is the lessening circle of those who reach out to the hurting ones around them. After all, how do you draw closer to someone you pull away from? How do we express concern when the first words out of our mouths are castigation for not fully disclosing what was happening?

I would like to suggest that we start making a personal intentional effort to be there for the hurting ones, with compassion, empathy, and resources - whatever our resources might be - so that they will KNOW someone is interested, cares, and is willing to help. When you see a neighbor who has had surgery, ask how they are doing, and what you can do to help. When you know someone's loved one has died, reach out through a phone call, a card, a doorstep visit just to say, "Gee, I'm so sorry this has happened, because I know it can be devastating. If there's a way I can help you - a cup of coffee and conversation, company on a visit somewhere - please let me know, because I want to help you if I can." And most importantly, make sure when you say that you really mean it - because it will show and be heard if you aren't.

I've been graced in life with some people who truly showed me that while we might not see eye to eye on everything - they at least are genuinely interested and concerned with what happens to me. May you discover such people in your own life!

Peace!

No comments: