Saturday, April 26, 2008

I have a headache

On Thursday, this near 60 year old went to a pre-retirement seminar. One of the first questions was, "Can you afford to retire?" Looking at things from a very cursory point of view, the answer was clear - NO! But then some other answers started to come along. Maybe, maybe. Some of the things shared were surprising, some very new, some not so, and some troubling.

Some options were opened up as well, and I think we will be tightening the financial belt a bit more, trying to start a small regular amount into another account the church makes available to me, and a matching amount into a IRA my wife has. That is in addition to the payments may by the local congregation to my retirement account, and a small automatically deducted savings monthly. That will be slow addition, but it will help, and we will look for other things, like refunds, rebates, similar financially unexpected bits and pieces headed into savings somewhere for that fateful day.

Many questions from the group indicated that our concerns as we approach retirement have some similarities, but also have some widely divurgent strains as well. Should we retire and take on something like Peace Corps, Habitat for Humanity, Heifer Project International? What about retiring and taking a short-term appointment to an overseas church (usually 4-5 years)? Maybe retiring from the church and going to work for some place that like older workers? Maybe another career?

Well, I started getting serious about another career possibility yesterday as we had breakfast, preparing to leave the city where our son and his wife and our grandson live - I drafted the basic line of a written story. I've fancied myself a writer for some time, even tried my hand at some things that all remained locally used items and had some compliments on what I've done. My genres would vary - some fiction, some resources for small churches and pastors. How much might be published is a good question. If some did, and some steady monies became part of the equation, that would be good!

It dawned on me, this last weekend -- Retirement is something we ought to start planning when we START working, so there will be the resources we need WHEN we get to the "golden" age. And I didn't, so I'm hoping my sharing will start some others down the advanced preparation path that will make this easier for them!

Peace!

1 comment:

Serena said...

If it makes you feel any better, I did actually sign up for the company 401(k) at work earlier this year. And I'm thinking of increasing what I'm having taken out by a little. I can afford it and it makes sense. Love you!