Saturday, January 5, 2008

What a difference a baby makes

We've just returned from our first visit with our new grandson, our son and daughter-in-law. Aren't babies a wonder? So small and vulnerable that it really doesn't take much to harm them, yet in that very vulnerability they draw out the most protective side of most people. Those tiny long fingers, the cute little pursing of the lips, that serious little look they get as newborns when they open their eyes and look at you. We took some pictures, and I assure you there will be many more. But looking into Justin's eyes as he rested in my arms was an amazingly uplifting time.

Yes, listening to my son and daughter-in-law brought back a lot of memories of our turn for the new babies. And I'm glad, at my age, that I'm doing it again. I made an intentional commitment to try to turn my outlook around and be more positive, more upbeat in my day to day contacts and activities. This because I want my son, daughter-in-law, grandson, daughter and wife to have a more positive world to live in. There is enough negative out there because we have become so cynical about this world and its leaders. There is so much sarcasm because experience is teaching us that people don't seem to care about one another anymore. But add a baby in the mixture and it's amazing how interested and happy people can become.

So, my friends, I challenge you to join me, because I know how tough this walk will be, in making a more positive difference in our world. How? By a more positive outlook on life, by a more caring attitude toward the people around us, by working for leaders who will act with integrity and caring - who will be more interested in building up people than conquests.

Peace and grace in the new year!

No comments: