Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ooffda

My wife and I were comparing notes after an email post she read, and for the first time since about 1977, I haven't been into work all week. Fortunately my employment is such that if I miss a week, it doesn't destroy business. I think when I step into the pulpit tomorrow, there will be people who will ask why I'm back? I've been on antibiotics since Monday, slurping down codeine cough syrup and popping extra Vitamin C. For part of the week I've added Tessalon pearls. I've drunk fluids like they were going out of style. And I've found concentrating on anything to be almost more than I could do.

But now I've got to get back into it! Why? Am I being pressured by others to do this? No, I need to get back into it because enough is enough! I've just been given reason to start looking at post-retirement options to fill time. I've started trying to write a couple of times, so I'll be more intentional on that. I've enjoyed bird-watching for a while, so I'll try to be more intentional about that as well. I've done handicrafts in the past, and may pick that up. I'll also look at some volunteering, maybe getting back into youth soccer coaching, or baseball, or something. I've even considered taking training for intentional interim work - training to become a pastor who goes into a church between settled pastors with training to help them deal with issues that will impair their future ministry under a new settled pastor.

Little did I know that so near the completion of the Retirement Seminar, I'd be forced to consider some of what we talked about that day in a forced scenario. But it has been good for me. I know realize with a vengeance what others know - retirement can't be sitting back and doing nothing or one heads for an early grave!

So, with plans and hopes to help us get along with life after we severe that "pre-retirement" work situation, let's move through the future with an eye to what will happen when -

Peace!

No comments: