Thursday, May 15, 2008

A telling comment

I'm told my father-in-law once made a very telling, damning remark to one of those trying to keep a local church mired in a dead past. That comment was, "God calls you to be pillars of the church, not pillows of the church!"

Too many today want the church to be a warm fuzzy in life, no challenge, no responsibility, no accountability, just one nice easy ride. I make my public pronouncement, drop my check in the plate and show up occasionally. That's all I need to do, and God is obligated to let me into the new realm for my generous support of the church. Some believe that joining civic clubs counts for church work - I give my dues and extra money to help "the poor," participate in community minded events and that's all I'm required to do. Jesus will let me in. Some seem to think that running a corporation for a strong bottom line is what we need to do in order to be faithful.

Well, let's look to the roots of our faith - Jesus wouldn't allow the disciples to seek a warm fuzzy, he constantly challenged them to push their limits, to move outside their comfort zones and confront the wrongs of society. Jesus required more than attendance, more than a financial contribution, more than lip service. He required faithful living of the new covenant he was mediating. That new covenant required offering the same response to the marginalized that Jesus gave; it required the willingness to give away what would make me comfortable to help another live; it required the wilingness to expend my very life in order to help another find the God of love and grace Jesus preached. Salvation and grace are a FREE GIFT of God, not an obligation we lay on God by our marvelous good works - that was the route the Pharisees attempted to teach. Jesus didn't allow people to join groups where a morning or an afternoon of gardening made one feel the spiritual requirement was met; he required his followers to get into the gutter, to take the shirt off their backs, to take the food from their knapsacks and give it away to overwhelming numbers.

We also need to remember Jesus allowed the purse of the group to be held by an alleged embezzler, and extravagantly used the resources others gave to meet far greater needs than any believed possible. His belief was that God called him and us to do extravagant things, and would bless our efforts.

I know of a church of marginalized persons who formed with a promise to the United Church of Christ, that if allowed to pursue membership, they would tithe (10%) their income to the Association and Conference. They did so well, they were able to actually do that and more. They were so filled with the grace we want to claim that when the vote was taken on their potential membership, THEY asked for secret ballots so all could vote their conscience. And even though some unscrupulous clergy attempted to stack the deck, this fine congregation - and yes, I know of what I speak, for I followed their growth and attended their worship to find them among the most welcoming and loving congregations I've ever been around - was in fact voted in by a wide margin of first time attending lay people. In other words, the grace they acted with won the day in the face of liars, fear mongers and bigots.

An important point that cannot be stressed enough is that grace is the FREE gift of God! We can never, NEVER place God in our debt. A corporate understanding of the church kills the spirit, destroys the ability to engage each member in the special ministry to which the Spirit calls them, and leaves all stifled, unable to see the wonderful grace and new life God wants to share.

My constant hope, even in the face of those who cannot see the writing on the wall, is that the church catholic will finally come to understand that we are about ministry and mission, not a fine fat bottom line or staff that obediently walk the paths of comfort and warm fuzzy for us.

Peace - but not TOO much!!

No comments: