Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sad Freedom

There is a sadness even in gaining freedom from what seems an oppressive situation. Five years of work, and little to see for it. Oh, I know I've touched lives, helped people, created some new understanding. It's just that pastors as well as churches like to see growth, we often just have different views of how to accomplish said growth. And different understandings of how church ought to function. And I've been reminded because we've had situations that have come up over the five years repeatedly with the church parlimentarian saying this is how it needs to work based on the Constiitution, and people promptly announcing that ain't the way it's supposed to work. So, why would I feel bad about walking away from that?

Well, there have been friendships developed that will now be truncated. There have been dreams of staying until we retired that are dashed. There are hopes for what could be accomplished that are gone. There have been dreams of deeper involvment in the Conference that now will not occur - unless something miraculously changes in the next few weeks. Reason for sadness!

There is also the freedom that I won't need to go to meetings where people may listen, but in most cases won't care what I say about directions. I won't have to put up with surliness and suspicion and tw0-facedness. I'm hoping that this will shock the church enough that they will truly take the time to figure out who they are and what they want from a pastor. I'm hoping the tension that exists between the lifers and the newbies will be dealt with in a manner that will bring new strength, pride in heritage and a commitment to be the socially connected and active that has been the signature of this congregation through their long and storied history.

But my part is done. Farewell!

Next, a NEW CHAPTER!

Peace!

No comments: