Thursday, December 6, 2007

Snow doubt we will be watching

My wife had a medical procedure about 30 miles south of our home today, and the roads were fine on the trip down. When we came out, the snow had started. We are to get 3-5 inches of snow, followed this weekend by a storm that is supposed to put another inch or two of ice on top. What does this have to do the tenor of my posts to this point? Simply that life goes on, in spite of the difficulties, the plans, the efforts of those things that we think we have under control. "The best laid plans of mice and men . . . " and all that. We sometimes get hung up on not being able to accomplish what we thought we would - and to a degree that is alright, because it shows our determination to do our best at the project; but it can also become a determent when our focus is so narrow that we cannot see that if we have put our best into it, that is all we can offer. From there, we must go on trust.

An important consideration is our own personal integrity. It is ok to want to succeed and to do all in our power to get there, but if we are willing to sell our principles to get to an end point we cannot otherwise achieve, we are better to change our focus! What is the point of a large, booming church if in the process one loses self, family and friends in order to achieve that end? What is the point of a wealthy lifestyle, if we become heartless pursuers of ever-increasing bank acocunts and have no love in our lives? What is the point of the fame of stars and athletes if it leads to the sort of headlines we've seen lately of suicides, crimes that have been hidden, gambling debts that tarnish our names and reputations?

Life has to be built on a combination of faith and intergrity, of family and friends, or we lose sight of the point of being human. Compassion has to be a building block or we are no better than a lump of coal in a coal scuttle. There are times when I despair of the process of trying to lead churches to see the course of the priesthood of all believers, when so many are intent on using a professional clergy as the stop gap that allows them to simply drop a check occasionally and show a few times a year. I despair of congregations so locked into who they were that they cannot look at the need to change with any sort of rational thought, or perception that they are losing their younger members. Yet, behind it all, is the assurance that I need not do it all, only offer my best to the congregation. From that point, God will find a way - though perhaps not through me - to work the needed changes. That can be hard, and some would say it's taking the easy way out when challenged. I truly do not believe that is my approach, because I try to find different ways to present my ideas, and listen to people who have studied the changes that I recommend, then temper all of that by what I know of the people where God has placed me.

There are times that snow falls - criticisms that hinder my desired direction, or compliments that soften those criticisms. There are times the ice comes, stopping projects cold, sometimes for more thought on a better way to approach them, sometimes because people flat refuse to allow such a thing! Sometimes they combine, but, as with nature, I am reminded that God's timing isn't mine, that God's control is beyond my sight or understanding.

Therefore with the same faith that tells me the snows will fall this winter, I strive to offer my best and trust the rest to God. Peace!

No comments: